Week Three was a busy one, and there were a few fun challenges to meet on our Whole30 adventure, but we were pretty impressed with how easy it has been to adapt our plans to include healthy options. And in the surprising results column this week? My underwear are falling off.
Whole30 Week 3 challenges: we had a BBQ at a friend’s house, a marathon 11-hour work day to plan for, a picnic lunch to orchestrate, and hosting a birthday dinner for a friend; with a little creative thinking (and good shopping lists) it ended up being a cinch!
Breakfast: Two eggs, fried over potato bacon hash, with tomatoes in Apple Cider Vinegar; black coffee.
Lunch: Thai green curry chicken bowls (wow, this was good) with a hot baked chicken wing on top.
Dinner: Whole30 Chili, watermelon.
Breakfast: Prosciutto, hard boiled egg, blueberries; espresso.
Lunch: Leftover chili, and a banana.
Dinner: BBQ garlic shrimp on zucchini and summer squash noodles, roasted cauliflower with hot sauce.
Breakfast: Banana, hard boiled egg, nuts, clementine, and Larabar.
Lunch: Sliced chicken breast on spinach salad with tomatoes; blueberries and espresso.
Dinner: Zucchini noodle Bolognese (thank goodness for the large batch from last week!).
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs and prosciutto; coffee.
Lunch: Chicken breast, spinach, tomatoes.
Dinner: Over to a friend’s for a BBQ overlooking the city! Whole30 compliant sausages, grilled pineapple, and potato salad, with veggies and watermelon.
Breakfast: Banana, almond butter, blueberries; espresso.
Lunch: Sweet potato chili (again, thankful for large batches).
Dinner: Pulled pork with homemade BBQ sauce (just wow–so rich and delish!).
Breakfast: Banana with almond butter (which I carried in a small jar in my purse for a quick breakfast).
Lunch: Picnic lunch of Avocado chicken salad on alfalfa, with carrots and tomatoes, grapes, and a can of Perrier. So filling, and what a view!
Dinner: Rack of lamb with summer squash, potato, and onion rosti, and alfalfa.
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, alfalfa, and tomatoes, coffee.
Lunch: Avocado chicken lettuce wraps with carrots.
Dinner: Birthday dinner for a friend! Ribeye steak with baked potato and green beans.
There were a few things we learned this week. As I mentioned above, my underwear are falling off. It’s not just the pair I’m wearing today, either. Now that you know that about me, read on for further results:
- I’m at least a full size smaller. Maybe more. This might explain the underwear.
- The planning and eating on schedule 3x daily makes us really full.
- We’ve now cut down on snacking between meals. We’re simply not hungry.
- We’re starting to think about once our Whole30 is done–we want to keep going!
- We’re looking into making Paleo eating part of our lives (most of the time).
- My skin has never been better.
- We feel so positive. Folks, this is mood-altering. This is a gift you give yourself.
- We’re both feeling much stronger–and have upped our plank times!
- I’m angry with massive food corporations that stuff our food with junk–label reading can make one positively furious.
- I’m having dreams about how awesome my body looks and feels. I’ll leave it at that.
- We’re laughing more. Bad day at work? Laughable. Miscommunications? Funny stuff! Surprise visits from unexpected relatives? Hilarious! Anyone who knows me (and my control-freaky tendencies) will know just how radical a change this is.
- It has been surprisingly easy to say no to wine. Anyone who knows me (AT ALL) will know just how radical a change this is. It’s not even a matter of willpower–it’s a point of pride.
So we’ve got a week left, and I’m looking forward to making some great recipes tonight, in preparation for the week. So stay tuned as we finish up this challenge and figure out how to proceed with our lives knowing what we know.
If you missed the other two posts, here are some quick links:
Next week’s instalment will include a wrap-up, more photos, ideas, and surprising results. And please feel free to follow along on Instagram @bigcitybucolic or Twitter @bigcitybucolic for daily updates!